FamilySearch Wiki:Technical Meeting Agenda 13 April 2010Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Attend meeting, the ID is 7737
News items can now be found on the Community News page in the Wiki.
Add your recognition items below
- Kudos goes to ... Everyone that helped with feedback and creation of the new homepage Kara 19:32, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
- The hundreds/thousands of stub articles that have been created in the last few weeks for the parishes of England. From viewing the RecentChanges many people have been involved in seeding the wiki with these pages that invite others to contribute. (see England Parishes) --Steve 19:55, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
From the Community
NGS Breakfast 7 a.m. Thursday - 29 Apr 2010. Kara 19:32, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
Thanks for all of the nominations for the Wiki/Forums Recognition Dinner - Invitations have been distributed, please RSVP ASAP :) To be held 5:30 Tuesday night at the JSMB Relief Society room. Kara 19:35, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
Apparent lack of coordination
Thought this has higher priority than the other one...
I was busting the redirects and double-redirects (there was one instance of 3-redirects) and came across some pages that looks like they were not named correctly, much less not link-integrated in already established pages. One such example was New York, King County Estate Records (it's not uniform named url, it's now Kings County, New York Estate Records). With no breadcrumbs. It is as if there are those involved in Pilot/Labs projects are not aware of or have no coordination with the rest of the Wiki world. Some of these Pilot pages completely bypassed state or province level and not linked as if they are orphans. Not even categorized. dsammy 07:00, 10 April 2010 (UTC)
- There is a project to add content pages to the Wiki for Record Search databases. This is an ongoing effort and the team working on this project are constantly in touch with whomever is needed. Coordination for this project started at the beginning of the project and continues on a regular basis. Answers to concerns...
- Breadcrumb trails are not required on pages (See FamilySearch Wiki talk:Manual of Style. The topic was presented for MOS discussion, but the discussion hasn't taken place yet.
- Uniform URLs are not mentioned in the MOS and no requirement or policy statement exists for uniform URLs. However, there are guidelines for naming articles that address this concern. See Help:Naming conventions. If uniform URLs is a concern, the proposal needs to be added to the list at FamilySearch Wiki:Transforming a Style Idea to a Manual of Style Guideline.
- Categorization will take place at some point in time. Categorization is not required when an article is first written. All categorization issues are still being discussed and are still in the "proposal" stage, not an established guideline or policy. See FamilySearch Wiki:Categorization.
- We have to give everyone, including myself, Pilot/Labs, and all wiki contributors a chance to learn-as-they-go in the creation of their articles in the wiki. Please see the following articles in the Wiki to help guide all our interactions with the community of wiki contributors - FamilySearch Wiki:Etiquette Guidelines, FamilySearch Wiki:Be kind to newcomers. Participating as a member of the Welcoming Committee is a positive way anyone to reach out and help our new authors and editors in the Wiki. --Fran 18:45, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
I discovered Wikipedia added a feature, to allow for printing and saving the article in PDFs. Is there any way we can add this feature because I find printable feature add stuff we don't want to see in printed form. In Wikipedia, you have to log in, in order to see this PDF feature. dsammy 07:00, 10 April 2010 (UTC)
- If this feature enhancement has not been posted to the Forums yet, that would be the best place to bring this to the attention of the community, including the engineers. --Fran 18:52, 13 April 2010 (UTC)
From FamilySearch Staff
- This page was last modified on 10 March 2012, at 14:10.
- This page has been accessed 547 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki