FamilySearch Wiki:Technical Meeting Agenda 21 September 2010Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Join the live meeting, the ID is 2006

Purpose of the meeting

  • To forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • To discuss content, technical issues, workarounds, community, site design, and strategy.


Contents

Agenda

Recognition

Add your recognition items below

  • Kudos goes to ...

Announcements

News items can now be found on the Community News page in the Wiki.

  • Questions?
  • Comments?

Discussion Items

From the Community

  • Back in the 11 May 2010 meeting, Fran indicated, "The FamilySearch Historical Records project team will be monitoring the forum once it's created." A forum thread was created. What is the holdup on this? Thomas Lerman 04:46, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
  • Don Stringham will provide a more complete answer to this question in a future meeting - probably two or three weeks from now. Other information Don provided to the Community:
  • Within the next two weeks or so, the Forums will get a new skin (blue ---> tan/purple) to match the overall look of the Beta FamilySearch.
  • Forums will go to the "single sign in" and will be accessible using an LDS Account. Judy raised the concern that displaying the same user name in the Forums would be of concern to her so that she would be getting a regular FamilySearch account, as well, in order to better protect her personal information.Don will raise the display name/user name concerns to his team.
I do not understand what the skin & feedback has to do with a sub-forum dedicated to Record Search / Historical Records. I got to the meeting late, sorry. Thomas_Lerman 18:08, 22 September 2010 (UTC)
  • Other issues discussed
  • By the end of the week, the double sign in issue will be fixed.(Yeah!)
I believe this was a Wiki issue. Thomas_Lerman 18:08, 22 September 2010 (UTC)
  • Forums will continue separate from the "Get Satisfaction" forums associated with the Feedback tab in Beta. Lise expressed concern that the two different forums with overlapping purpose would be confusing to many people (self included).
I am not sure that I would called the "Get Satisfaction" one of the forums. It is a way of providing product feedback. However, I can see confusion because it kind of does act like a forum and feedback is available through the forums as well. Thomas_Lerman 18:08, 22 September 2010 (UTC)
  • Fran mentioned in an e-mail from 16 Sep 2010 about "a proposal I received to change the meeting schedule to once a month instead of once a week." She said that she was going to add it to this and next week's agenda. I have not seen this. I personally believe this would be a serious mistake. Thomas_Lerman 04:46, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
I think we already have a communication problem. To hold this meeting only once per month would, I believe, compound that problem. Jimmy B. Parker 05:51, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
I concur with Jimmy. dsammy
The Community discussed this briefly, and unanimously agreed that the meetings should continue weekly because of the value to both developers and the Community.
  • I would like to see the user community reach out more directly to newly recruited societies who have volunteered to adopt wiki pages. Can we devote the entire meeting on 28 September to that purpose, and specifically invite them? If so, could the respective moderators for the newly adopted states be encouraged to participate, as well? Lise 17:27, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
And no one bothered to tell me Massachusetts was adopted while I am still moderator. I noticed this one is not a society to begin with. It's a professional for hire outfit.dsammy 18:46, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
A professional researcher has provided a great deal of content to the Chicago/Cook County articles, and that's been a great asset to the wiki.Lise 19:02, 21 September 2010 (UTC)
Diane discussed plans to recruit and assist socities in developing wiki content, explaining that there are details to be worked about the roles of page adopter versus moderator. She mentioned that bringing all the best genealogical resources together in one place was the goal of the wiki, and that involving societies and professionals would strengthen the content and raise the credibility of the wiki. dsammy expressed concerns about professional researches being involved and Diane explained that the Guiding Principles and Policies would ensure that the wiki is not used inappropriately. Diane also described the concept of a Telephone Account Contact team to reach out more directly to societies that have adopted pages. She proposed a separate meeting to welcome societies and ask what assistance they would like. Also discussed: the potential for local Family History Centers to provide local assistance to wiki page adopters. Wilma Adkins has been assigned to work with moderators of pages that have been adopted by societies. Jimmy mentioned that there will be many missionary couples released in the coming months who will have had experience with the wiki who might be called on to provide wiki assistance in Family History Centers.

From FamilySearch Staff

Be bold! Post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to cover during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post some details on the discussion page and link to the discussion from the agenda.
  • This page was last modified on 10 March 2012, at 14:06.
  • This page has been accessed 433 times.