FamilySearch Wiki:Technical Meeting Agenda 26 October 2010Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Listen to the recording, the ID is 1008

Purpose of the meeting

  • To forge solutions with other community contributors.
  • To discuss content, technical issues, workarounds, community, site design, and strategy.


Contents

Agenda

Recognition

Add your recognition items below

  • Kudos goes to ...

Announcements

News items can now be found on the Community News page in the Wiki.

  • Questions?
  • Comments?

Discussion Items

From the Community

Historical Records Articles

  • The article that originally contained information for all Cook County, Illinois Vital Records databases on beta.familysearch.org (and now is marked for deletion) needs to include links to the three new articles that the single article has been broken into. I recognize this transition is a short term problem because the databases still refer users to the old article. Users are likely to be confused.  Lise 20:36, 26 October 2010 (UTC)
I have amended the page so that it now provides a list of links to where the content has been moved. I also added a comment to this effect on the article talk page. --Steve 21:05, 26 October 2010 (UTC)
Thanks, cottrells! Lise 21:00, 26 October 2010 (UTC)

Blogger Day FYI

Wiki News

The Watchlist

  • The watchlist message we receive in our e-mail says, "There will be no other notifications in case of further changes unless you visit this page."
  • Does that mean that she needs to log in, then visit that page, or she'll never receive another e-mail about that page again? (Answer is yes)
  • Others reported that this was confusing to them as well and that they've been caught by surprise, unaware that there had been additional comments to a forum post.
  • Question: On the watchlist problem, should we change that procedure? Wouldn't it be enough, in the e-mail, to say "If you no longer wish to receive e-mails regarding changes to this page, please return to the page and 'unwatch' it?"
  • Answer: The watchlist e-mail notification is default code
  • Follow-up: Judy will post a Forum thread about this watch list feature. Please add your ideas and concerns you have about the watch list to the thread.

Colors on Nav Boxes

  • Asking for comments on the yellow color in Delaware template? https://wiki.familysearch.org/ en/Template:Delaware
  • Is the yellow color better than the grey? The color is direct taken from Wikipedia.
  • Two people said the "yellow is ugly" and Blah!
  • Red with blue doesn't work
  • Need a color that doesn't make it hard to read text that is red, blue, or black.
  • We also need the FamilySearch color palette
  • The problem with palette for FamilySearch skin is finding appropriate color codes. I believe the codes will be provided when and if FamilySearch actually has a palette that we should use.
  • Example page with color issues is New York Census
  • Follow up: David will start a Forum thread to discuss color palette concerns. Please post your thoughts and ideas to the thread.

Thursday's Genealogist Meeting

  • Judy has been conducting the Thursday Genealogists meeting but needs someone to run that for her this week.
  • Fran will send the request to others who will follow up on this.

From FamilySearch Staff

  • We need to change the Sysop links that currently send email to Fran. The email needs to be sent to Wilma, but in the near future another change will be made. So would it be better to have a template used for this type of link that we know will change frequently? Answer: Yes
  • I don't remember what the follow up was on this, but I think Steve was going to be able to help with this.
You remembered correctly. I have created the template {{please contact a Sysop}} and replaced the instances where it was previously a hard coded link with the new template. Please go ahead and edit the template, changing Fran's username to Wilma's username --Steve 21:50, 26 October 2010 (UTC)
Thank you Steve. In light of the recent changes with Support, I will be changing the link so the email will go to our support team and not to Wilma. -Fran 19:42, 10 November 2010 (UTC)

Be bold! Post your agenda items!

Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to cover during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post some details on the discussion page and link to the discussion from the agenda.
  • This page was last modified on 10 March 2012, at 14:06.
  • This page has been accessed 1,954 times.