FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New Jersey Tasks-US GenWeb Vital, Land and ProbateEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WikiProject New Jersey Wiki Project New Jersey Tasks - USGenWeb Vital, Land and Probate
The purpose of this task is to locate pertinent vital, land and probate record databases on USGenWeb and add the information and links to the New Jersey County pages on the FamilySearch Wiki.
New to the wiki?
You may wish to open a separate "window" for these instructions so that you won't lose them while following each step.
To Open another window:
- Click on a tab at the top of the brower and then navigate back to the FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New Jersey.
Or you may wish to print the instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
Specific Instructions for USGenWeb Vital, Land and Probate Records
1. You will be adding information to the county page by editing in wiki text. *If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
2. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
3. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password (https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page)
4. Scroll to the heading, Vital Records. The following instructions will be repeated for both Land and Probate Records also.
5. Click on the following USGenWeb link to go to USGenWeb Archives.
6. Once at the website click on the county you have chosen to work on. A list of categories for that county will appear.
7. Vital Records, Deeds, Wills are the categories to look for. Click on each category to learn if there are records available and might be of value to add to the FamilySearch Wiki.
8. Go back to the window you have open for the FamilySearch county wiki page and click the edit box, which is to the right of the heading, Vital Records, or Land or Probate depending on which category you are working. Then click on the word, wikitext, which will bring you to the wiki text field.
9. You will now enter the information into the FamilySearch county wiki page, under the appropriate heading. First, determine if there is a The format is:
- (a) : (colon)
- (b) * (star)
11. In the "Summary" box at the bottom of the page add the words, "Added USGenWeb Vital, Land and Probate" and then click the Save page button.
|To make the page look uniform, do not space between entries, but do make sure there is a space between a heading and an entry. And never use an ampersand.|
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 5. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Preble County for adding USGenWeb Vital, Land and Probate".
- 6. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 7. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Adams County for Probate Records Other Repositories."
|County||Name/ Date Accepted||Date Completed|
- This page was last modified on 11 April 2013, at 17:06.
- This page has been accessed 237 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki