FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New Jersey Tasks - Vital Records SubheadingsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WikiProject New Jersey Wiki Project New Jersey Tasks - Vital Records Subheadings
The purpose of this task is add subheadings for birth, marriage and death records on the New Jersey county pages. This task is a moderate task and requires average knowledge about or experience with writing in wikitext.
New to the wiki?
You may wish to print these instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
3. Add information to the county page by editing in wikitext. Read these general instructions then follow the wikitext link to continued task directions about using wikitext to edit this project.
- If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
4. Mark the Assignment Chart below to indicate you have finished the task.
5. Also, report your finished task on the New Jersey FamilySearch Completed Task Google Form. Follow the instructions on the Google form. This step is important for documenting completed wiki volunteer work. Thank you!
Wikitext Editing Instructions
1. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
2. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password.
3. Scroll to the heading Vital Records.
4. Add the subheadings:
===== Birth =====
===== Marriage =====
===== Death =====
5. Open the Birth Records heading for editing by clicking on the pencil in square on the right-hand side of the page, opposite the heading title.
6. Click on the word wikitext with in toolbox at the top left of the edit box.
7. Under the heading Births add the following sentences:
''Online Birth Indexes and Records''
''Original Birth Records on Microfilm''
8. To add the sentences, copy, and paste as you would in any word processing program.
- a. Highlight the text which needs to be copied.
- b. Right click and select copy from the menu box.
- c. Place you cursor where you want the text to appear.
- d. Right click and select paste from the menu box.
9. If there already is vital record information posted under the heading Births, do not remove the records and links, but you may need to reorganize it.
- a. Determine if the records are original, online, or on microfilm.
- b. Original records are placed directly under the heading Births.
- c. Online and microfilm records are placed under the respective sentences you added.
- d. If you move any linked information, to avoid breaking any links, be sure to move all text while in wikitext.
- e. To move wikitext information, copy, cut and paste as you would in any word processing program.
- 1. Highlight the text which needs to be moved.
- 2. Right click and select cut from the menu box.
- 3. Place you cursor where you want the text to appear.
- 4. Right click and select paste from the menu box.
- f. If you move any information, be sure to paste it back in chronological order under each heading.
- e. If you are unsure where to place a record, put it directly under the main heading for births, in chronological order.
10. Repeat these same directions (4-8 ) for Marriage and Death Records. Substitute the following sentences:
12. Under the Marriage heading add:
''Online Marriage Indexes and Records''
''Original Marriage Records on Microfilm''
13. Under the Death heading add:
''Online Death Indexes and Records''
''Original Death Records on Microfilm''
14. Add a summary sentence something like "Added Vital record subheadings" and Save the page. The task is complete.
15. Mark the Assignment Chart below to indicate you have finished the task.
Example of a Completed Section
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 5. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Adams County for adding Family History Center".
- 6. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 7. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Adams County for societies."
|County||Name/ Date Accepted||Date Completed|
|Atlantic||TDB/28 Mar 2013||28 Mar 2013|
- This page was last modified on 2 April 2013, at 17:59.
- This page has been accessed 213 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki