FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New York/Tasks-Contact County HistorianEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The purpose of this task is to contact a county historian to determine any unique records or strategies for your county.
1. Search the county page to see if the county historian is listed. It will either be under the heading Repositories or on the County Courthouse page. NOTE: eventually the county historians will be transferred from the county courthouse page to the county page under repositories.
2. If a county historian is listed, contact the historian (call or email). You will want to ask about any unique county sources or strategies/suggestions on how to research in this county. Try to find out as much as you can about research in this county.
3. Once you obtain the information, add it to the county page where appropriate.
3. If the county historian is not listed, search the internet to see if one could be located. You can also try the source, Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogist's Address Book: State and Local Resources, with Special Resources Including Ethnic and Religious Organizations, 6th ed. (Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Pub., 2009), ppp. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D24ben 2009.
4. If you have any questions, talk to David Dilts.
Because every county page is different, there is no example for this task.
- This page was last modified on 5 January 2012, at 18:21.
- This page has been accessed 187 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News