FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New York/Tasks-Repositories Public LibrariesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This task uses different websites to help locate information about public libraries in the county that have genealogical information in their collections or a genealogy room. For example, an online obituary index, or genealogy/local history room located in the public library.
Please cite at least one source for each item you add. See Albany County for examples. See also
NOTE: Only list a public library if the website states it has genealogical sources. Do not list all public libraries.
1. To determine the public libaries in the county, search the following webistes:
- For Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego, and St. Lawrence Counties, use this website first: Northern New York Library Network
- http://ny.public-libraries.org/library/county/NewYork.html NOTE: Libraries listed under a county may actually be in an adjoining county. You may locate the URL or other information about these libraries through www.publiclibraries.com.
- You can also use the NYGenWeb county page.
2. Once you locate the website for the public library (if it exists), add the following:
- Name of the public library. If the library has a website, add the link to the name of the library. See the example below. If there is no website link, bold the name of the library.
- Phone number
- Any collections that are helpful for genealogy (obituary indexes, newspapers, cemetery records, genealogical websites, etc.)
- If they have a local history or genealogy room.
- You can also call the public library to clarify their holdings.
3. If your county has a library system which includes all the public libraries in that area, you can link to the system website instead of listing the individual libraries and their contact information. The following is an example:
- Clinton Essex Franklin Library System consists of 34 public libraries in the counties of Clinton, Essex, and Franklin. Each library has access to genealogical databases - especially newspaper sites. Many are accessible with your library card from home. A list of the libraries in this system and their website and contact information is found here.
4. If there are many libraries in the county, you may choose to just add the library in the county seat and any other libraries with a genealogy room or signficant genealogical collections.
5. You may want to add the appropriate library to the town page. To go to a town page, click on the town link in the "Municipalities and Communities" box under the "Places" heading at the bottom of the county page. Once on the town page, add a Heading 3 called "Libraries" and add the information about the archive using the format given on this page.
Albany Public Library Main Library
161 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12210
Call for hours. Albany History Room hours differ from regular library hours.
Pruyn Collection of Albany History housed in the Albany History Room of the library. Collection includes city directories, newspapers, and census records on film and online.
Example for a library system:
Clinton Essex Franklin Library System consists of 34 public libraries in the counties of Clinton, Essex, and Franklin. Each library has access to genealogical databases - especially newspaper sites. Many are accessible with your library card from home. A list of the libraries in this system and their website and contact information is found here.
- This page was last modified on 17 November 2011, at 17:01.
- This page has been accessed 791 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki