FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New York/Tasks-Repositories SocietiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The purpose of this task is to find the genealogical and historical societies located in a county and list their contact information, website, collections and databases for family history research.
Please cite at least one source for each item you add. See Albany County for examples. See also
1. To locate societies in a county, search the following websites:
- For Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego, and St. Lawrence Counties, use this website first: Northern New York Library Network
- Library guides (University at Albany-SUNY) - click on the tab for your county
- New York USGenWeb
- Cyndi's List
- Epodunk Browse appropriate county profile for historical societies
- Google "Genealogical Society [county name and state]" or "Historical Society [county name and state]"
- Google "[county name and state] genealogy blog" then scan for mention of any societies for that county
2. In conjunction with the internet, you may want to consult the Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogy Address Book (Genealogical Publishing Company: Baltimore, Maryland, 2009) for Internet addresses and street addresses for town historians and clerks. Try to compare with Internet information, call or e-mail the historian or clerk to confirm current town officials.
- i. You may find that most of the historical and genealogical societies listed are on the village jurisdiction. DO NOT put them on the village page. Instead put it on the town page (because that village is in that town).
2. For each county society you find, add the following:
- Name of the society. If the society has a website, add the link to the name of the society. See the example below. If there is no website link, bold the name of the society.
- phone number
3. Add one or two sentences that discuss the strengths and peculiarities of the databases or collections of the society. Be sure to include information regarding a periodical or newsletter for the society.
4.You may also wish to include the following:
- Rules for using the collection
- Copy policies
- Research help
- Cost of entrance
5. If you copy a link and add it to the county page, make sure the link works. Do not add any broken links.
6. If you locate a town society, you may want to add the information to the town page. To go to a town page, click on the town link in the "Municipalities and Communities" box at the bottom of the county page (you may have to click on the "show" button to see the list of towns.). On the town page, add a Heading 3 called "Societies" and add the information about the society using the format given on this page.
7. You do not need to add state level societies to county or town pages.
Essex County Historical Society/Brewster Memorial Research Library & Archives
Adirondack History Center Museum
7590 Court St.
P.O. Box 428
Elizabethtown NY, 12932
Call for hours. Holdings include vertical files (biography & subject oriented), newspaper collections, photographs, manuscripts, maps, cemetery index, some census on microfilm only, special collection library, historical documents relating to the history of Essex County. There are no birth, death, or marriage certificates. Research room rules, access regulations and fees for use of library apply
- This page was last modified on 9 May 2012, at 18:57.
- This page has been accessed 519 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki