FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New York/Tasks-Vital Records LinkpendiumEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This task involves searching for vital records available on Linkpendium to be placed on county and town pages.
1. In New York, very few vital records are kept on the county level. Most are kept on the town level. However, it is important to check in the event there are original records or abstracts.
As you find town vital record sources, you will want to add the information to the town page. To go to a town page, click on the town link in the "Municipalities and Communities" on the bottom of your county page. Once on the town page add the information about the collections using the format given on this page. You will use the same guidelines for the county as you will for town vital records.
2. To locate available records, go to Linkpendium Choose the county being searched. Once at that county page, search and click on the phrase “Vital Records” near the end of the page. This page will list several vital record sources for the county, cities or towns for which you are searching.
3. Review the entries and add any original records under the appropriate headings on either the county or town level. Indent and bullet each entry. The date should be bolded. Make sure to use the N–dash between the dates and anytime it is used in wiki text. The N–dash is made by holding the alt key and typing 0150. Place your entry in Chronological order under the right heading as step 4 indicates. See the following examples:
:*'''1888-1907''' Marriage records.
:*'''1908–1920''' Marriage records.
4. For substitute records, such as abstracts, transcriptions, and indexes, list them under the appropriate heading of Birth, Marriage and Death. Add a sub-heading [type of record] Substitutes in italics if needed.
- This page was last modified on 28 November 2011, at 16:59.
- This page has been accessed 209 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki