FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject New York/Tasks-Vital Records USGenWebEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This task involves searching the USGenWeb county page to see what vital record collections are online for the county and for the towns in that county.
1. Go to the USGenWeb site for New York. Click on your county on the map. Then click on BMD to check for county Birth, Marriage and Death records or a vital records link. Then click on each town name listed to check for vital records.
2. In New York, very few vital records are kept on the county level. Most are kept on the town level. However, it is important to check in the event there are original records or abstracts. Often the collections you will find in USGenWeb are town records. Add this information to the town page. NOTE: Only add links to databases that are complete and are not for just a few surnames.
As you find town vital record sources, you will want to add the information to the town page. To go to a town page, click on the town link in the "Municipalities and Communities" on the bottom of your county page. Once on the town page add the information about the collections using the format given on this page. You will use the same guidelines for the county as you will for town vital records.
3. Review the entries and add any original records under the appropriate headings of Birth, Marriage and Death. Indent and bullet each entry. The date should be bolded. Make sure to use the N–dash between the dates and anytime it is used in wiki text. The N–dash is made by holding the alt key and typing 0150. Place your entry in Chronological order under the right heading, as step 4 indicates. See the following examples:
:*'''1888-1907''' Marriage records.
:*'''1908–1920''' Marriage records.
4. For substitute records, such as abstracts, transcriptions, and indexes, list them under the appropriate heading of Birth, Marriage and Death. Add a sub-heading [type of record] Substitutes in italics if needed. See example at bottom of page.
5. FOR COUNTY DATABASES: Add any county vital record sources under the appropriate headings. Indent and bullet each entry. The date should be bolded.
6. FOR TOWN DATABASES: Add any town vital record sources to the appropriate town page under the correct Level 3 headings. You may have to add the headings to the town page. (i.e. Birth, Marriage, Death)
- 1778–1861 Quaker Records (Births) from Dunanesburg, later called Butternuts. Courtesy of US GenWeb.
- 1853–1878 Oneonta Herald Deaths and Marriages. Courtesy of USGenWeb
- 1853–1878 Oneonta Herald Deaths and Marriages. Courtesy of USGenWeb.
- This page was last modified on 28 November 2011, at 16:47.
- This page has been accessed 530 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News