FamilySearch Wiki:WikiProject United States Civil WarEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Welcome to the United States Civil War WikiProject! We welcome contributors here. We are focusing on the regiment pages for the 34 states that had regiments involved in the Civil War of 1861 to 1865. Wiki pages have been started for each of the 6900 regiments.
We also have added pages for state involved in the war. We will be adding information about records specific to each state and regiment as well as adding the appropriate regiments to the counties involved.
We invite you to add whatever you know about the records of the regiments in which you are interested. Working together, we can all benefit from the knowledge of community members on the Wiki.
If you have questions, or need some guidance on what to add or how to do so, feel free to contact the project leader or other team members.
Marilyn Markham, Project Leader
Current Tasks needing volunteers:
- Add web sites about a regiment to the appropriate regiment page with explanation of what can be found on the sites.
- Add books about a regiment to the appropriate regiment page with explanations of what can be found in the books.
- Add images of a regiment, a regiment memorial or regiment monument to the appropriate regiment page.
- Add a list of the companies in a regiment with the county where most men enlisted into a company.
- Add the regiments and companies to the appropriate counties.
The major goal is to link each company to the county or counties where most of the soldiers were recruited. Soldiers generally joined the service in the county where they lived. This can help determine the identity of any soldier, even a John Smith.
A second goal is to add sources, (books, films, and Internet sites) to each regiment and state page, so people can quickly find and use the sources.
A third goal is to put a list of the regiments recruited in a county on the county page with links to the regiment pages.
Templates Code Result
Template showing an article, image, category, or template is part of this WikiProject. Placed at the top of talk pages, not articles.
- This page was last modified on 30 September 2011, at 13:49.
- This page has been accessed 1,047 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page