FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Project New Jersey Tasks – Newspaper IntroEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WikiProject New Jersey Wiki Project New Jersey Tasks - Newspaper Records Intro
The purpose of this task is to add the introduction to newspaper records on New Jersey county pages.
This task is beginner task and requires basic experience with copying and pasting in wikitext.
New to the wiki?
You may wish to print these instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
3. For each county, you will add information to the county page by editing in wikitext. Read the general instructions then follow the wikitext link to continued task directions about using wikitext to edit this project.
- If you have questions about editing, go to wiki help links under the heading Description.
4. Mark the Assignment Chart below to indicate you have finished the task.
Wikitext Editing Instructions
Part A - Adding the template
1. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
2. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password. Find the sign-in area in the top right-hand corner of the page.
3. Scroll to the heading Newspapers.
4. Open the Newspapers heading for editing by clicking on the pen in square on the right-hand side of the page, opposite the heading title.
5. Click on the word wikitext in the toolbox at the top left of the edit box.
6. Place your cursor immediately after the heading Newspapers and strike the enter key on your keyboard.
7. While still in wiki text, copy and paste the following intro template under the heading Newspapers:
8. Replace the name Adams with the name of the county you are currently working on.
9. If there is any other text under the heading, be sure to place the intro template on a separate line before any additional text and after the Newspaper heading.
10. Save the page.
11. Click on the blue links you just added.
- a. Public libraries
- b. New Jersey Genealogical Society chapters
- c. College or university libraries
- d. Library of Congress
- e. Google News
- f. New Jersey Historical Society
- g. New Jersey Genealogical Society Obituary Database
- 12. If any of these links do not work, please contact FamilySearch at the number listed in Description above.
Part B - Adding the Headings
1. Open Newspapers for editing as you did in the above steps 1-5.
2. If there are text or links already entered on the page, determine if that newspaper information is about online newspaper copies, or online newspaper abstracts, or links to books about newspaper abstracts. This text will be moved in step 4.
3. While in wiki text, under the template added in step 7 above, copy and paste the following headings:
'''Online Newspaper Abstracts'''<br>
'''Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form'''<br>
Be sure each heading is on a separate line and before any additional text.
4. If you found text or links previously entered in the page, determine if the newspaper information is about online newspaper copies, or online newspaper abstracts, or links to books about newspaper abstracts.
- a. While in wiki text, position your cursor in front of the text which needs moving.
- b. Left click and drag your cursor across the text to highlight the information which needs moving.
- c. Right click and select cut.
- d. Move your cursor under the correct heading and hit enter on your keyboard to move to a new line.
- e. Right click and paste the moved information in its new position.
5. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Added newspaper intro and headings".
6. Click on the box "Save Page". The task is complete.
7. Follow the directions in the Assignment Chart section below to report your completed task.
Example of Completed Heading
Wiki Project New Jersey Tasks – Newspaper Intro newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page New Jersey Newspapers.
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Example of a Completed Section
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Not all counties are included in the chart below. If your county is not listed, this task is not needed for your county.
- 5. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 6. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Added newspaper intro and headings for Mahoning County".
- 7. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 8. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Completed Adams County for Probate Records Other Repositories."
|County||Name/ Date Accepted||Date Completed|
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2013, at 18:09.
- This page has been accessed 489 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki