FamilySearch Wiki:Wiki Project New Jersey Tasks - Church SubheadingsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
WikiProject New Jersey Wiki Project New Jersey Tasks - Church Subheadings
The purpose of this task is to add the subheadings for churches on New Jersey county pages.
This task needs knowledge about choosing heading titles, adding headings and moving information.
New to the wiki?
Questions about editing this project?
You may wish to print these instructions before you begin editing.
- Go to the top right-hand corner of the page within the the white area.
- Locate the word Print or the icon of a printer. Click on the icon.
1. Check the Assignment Chart below to choose a county to edit.
2. Sign up on the Assignment Chart to accept the task. Sign-up instructions are posted with the Assignment Chart below.
3. For each county, you will add information to the county page by editing in Wikitext. Read the general instructions then follow the wikitext link to continued task directions about using Wikitext to edit this project.
- If you have questions about editing, go to Wiki help links under the heading Description.
4. Mark the Assignment Chart below to indicate you have finished the task.
Wikitext Editing Instructions
1. Login to the FamilySearch wiki using your FamilySearch login name and password. Find the sign-in area in the top right-hand corner of the page.
2. Click on your chosen county name in the Assignment Chart. This will take you to your county page.
3. Scroll to the heading Church Records.
4. If any records are already added to the church section, open the Church Records heading for editing by clicking on the pen in the square on the right-hand side of the page, opposite the heading title.
5. Determine which congregation to which the records belong.
5. Click on the word Wikitext in the toolbox at the top left of the edit box.
6. Using size 5 heading, add the name of the congregation for a subheading, such as Baptist, Methodist or Society of Friends.
- a. If the record is multi-denominational or you cannot determine the congregation, add a heading called General. This heading should come before the other denominations.
- b. Make a size 5 heading by typing 5 = signs before and after the heading.
- Example: =====General=====
7. Be sure each heading is on a separate line and before the text which applies to that congregation.
8. Arrange the congregation sections in alphabetical order by denomination name. This may require moving some text which is already on the page. Do as follows to move the text:
- a. While in wiki text, position your cursor in front of the text which needs moving.
- b. Left click and drag your cursor across the text to highlight the information which needs moving.
- c. Right click and select cut.
- d. Move your cursor under the correct heading or at the correct line on the page and hit enter on your keyboard to move to a new line.
- e. Right click and paste the moved information in its new position.
5. Do NOT add congregation headings if there is not information about that church.
6. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Added church headings".
7. Click Save Page.
8. Follow the directions in the Assignment Chart section below to report your completed task.
9. Save the page and exit. The task is complete.
Example of Completed Heading
Example of a Completed Section
Assignment Chart Instructions
If you are accepting this task:
- 1. Sign in to the wiki at the upper right-hand corner of this page. Use your FamilySearch account username and password.
- 2. Open the Assignment Chart for editing by clicking on the check mark in the box at the right opposite the Assignment Table heading.
- 3. Place your cursor in the box under the heading Name/Date Task Accepted and opposite your county of choice.
- 4. Not all counties are included in the chart below. If your county is not listed, this task is not needed for your county.
- 5. Type 4 tildes (~). This symbol is located on the upper left-hand part of your keyboard, next to the number 1. The ~~~~ is an electronic signature and will leave your user name and date when you signed.
- 6. Scroll nearly to the bottom of the page. Add a summary sentence in the Summary box saying something like, "Selected Adams County for adding Family History Center".
- 7. Click on the box "Save Page".
- 8. You are now signed up to complete this task.
If you are completing this task:
- Follow the same instructions as accepting the task, except place your cursor in the correct county box under the heading Date Completed. Change your summary sentence to something like, "Updated task chart."
|County||Name/ Date Accepted||Date Completed|
- This page was last modified on 15 May 2013, at 15:28.
- This page has been accessed 295 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More