FamilySearch Wiki talk:Web Sites versus websitesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This was brought up and discussed extensively in the 26 Jan 2010 Community Meeting. Extra notes, chat, and discussion may be found there.
We have some inconsistency within the Wiki regarding the terminology used when referring to sites on the internet. It is NOT cleared up on the FamilySearch Wiki:Manual of Style page. Is it websites, web sites, Web sites, or some other term or spacing of words? Jimmy B. Parker 23:24, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
- This quirky question can be answered at this site "Should it be Web site or website?" .
So if it is heading it is simply "Web Sites" since it is very clear and to the point. If it is in the article it is simply either web sites or websites. Take your pick. dsammy 03:32, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
That is already widely known, I've been putting in the word 'website' for 'web sites' for some time, and this also helps search engines too, as they often don't understand the context of the separated words 'web site' or 'web sites'. But in Google, if you ask for 'web' it will pick up 'website' or 'websites'. Originally it was 'web site', but it has evolved so that the compounded word 'website' is more accepted, and often is considered correct in many other settings now. JamesAnderson 18:28, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
- This may be read about at Chicago Manual of Style, where they suggest 'website' for informal writing. Another question may be brought up about the capitalization of 'Internet'. I would rather see web pages in the Wiki be called 'articles' instead of 'pages'. I believe most would think that sounds less techy and more user friendly. While I am at it, I would rather see one space instead of two spaces after periods, etc. The extra space causes some problems or funny viewing during a preview. I personally believe it is an old standard with two spaces that were used with monospace typewriters. The University of Chicago Press through the Chicago Manuel of Style discourages this as well. Thomas_Lerman 20:22, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
- According to the information in the chat of the Community Meeting, the newest version on the Intranet for the FHD, all three of the issues brought up (Web site, Internet, and spacing after period) are addressed. I recommend matching that style guide on these issues (and possibly others that may exist). Any way of posting that style guide in the Wiki? Thomas_Lerman 22:01, 26 January 2010 (UTC)
- This page was last modified on 26 January 2010, at 22:08.
- This page has been accessed 841 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page