Farringdon, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Farringdon, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||St Thomas PLU|
|Registration District||St Thomas|
|Parish registers: 1678|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1610|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
FARINGDON, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands 3 miles SSE of Broad Clist railway station, and 5½ ESE of Exeter: was formerly known as Ferendon; and is a small scattered place. The parish includes part of Clis-Satchfield tything; and its post town is Topsham, under Exeter. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Farringdon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FARRINGDON PARISH Online Records|
|IGI||1610-1812||1610-1639, 1679-1788, 1840-1850|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241304.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ John M. Wilson Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales published in 1870-72. Date Accessed: 2 July 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,941 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More