Featherstone SocietyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Last updated: Oct 25, 2014|
The Featherstone Society was established in 1997 by a group of Featherstone descendants in England. Since that time, membership has expanded worldwide. Membership includes access to a private membership website, quarterly newsletter and research assistance. The quarterly newsletter can be obtained electronically or by a small increased subscription cost by ground mail.
The society is actively involved in research for a person who enjoyed the Featherstone surname or any of its variants. The society is currently headed by W. Paul Featherstone. Individuals wishing to join the society should contact him directly or through the main society website.
The origin of the Featherstone surname extends back into early English history. Some say it originated with Helius (Elias) de Fetherstonhalgh in about 1202. Helius was influentlal landowner who created the symbol for his family with the image of a feather and a stone.
The Featherstone surname is found with a number of spelling variations. They commonly include: Featherstone, Featherston, Fetherstone, Fetherston, Featherstun, Featherstonehaugh, Featherstonhaugh and Fetherstonhaugh. Less frequent spellings include Fedderstan, de Fedderstanhalwe, de Fedderstanhalgh and many others.
Historical Family HomeThe historical family home is commonly known today as the Featherstone Castle located a short distance south of the Scottish border in Northumberland.
Numerous research projects are underway by members of the society including records in England, Wales, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland and the United States. Featherstone data found in the projects are listed on the Collected Records section of the primary Society website.
Additionally, the society owns or affiliates with a number of Featherstone descendant sites that include much of the research data found in the Collected Records section of the society website.
- Featherstone Genealogy
- Featherstone Society on MyHeritage
- Featherstone Society on Tribal Pages
- Featherstones in Southern England
- Irish Feathersone Records on Family Pursuit
- Featherstone on Guild of One-Name Studies
Additional records are found on various member genealogy blogs and sites:
In addition to the Genealogical Research projects, the society is also involved in:
- ↑ http://www.featherstone-society.com/members/index.htm%7CFeatherstone Society
- ↑ http://www.featherstone-society.com/Indexes/index.htm%7CFeatherstone Society Research
- ↑ http://www.featherstone-society.com/Indexes/england/other/house-of-fh/house_of_fetherstonhaugh.htm
- ↑ http://www.famhist.us/2011/05/02/featherstone-castle-of-northumbria/
- ↑ http://featherstone-society.com/
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:18.
- This page has been accessed 2,848 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki