Felkirk, YorkshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Hemsworth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1701|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1598|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
FELKIRK (St. Peter), a parish, in the wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 6¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Barnsley; containing with the townships of Brierley, Havercroft with Cold Hiendley, South Hiendley, and Shafton, 1186 inhabitants. 
The parish includes the townships of Brierly, Hiendley, Havercroft, Shafton, Cold Hiendley and Grimethorpe and the church is dedicated to St Peters. GENUKI
The word Felkirk is believed to derive from the original wooden church built by Danish Saxons in the 9th Century from the work Fjol Kirche, Fjol meaning a plank or a board or split logs of wood which over many centuries became corrupted into fel, with Kirche meaning church. An alternative explanation would be Field Church based on the fact its in the middle of nowhere but the former is generally believed to be most likely due to the use of the 3 field system. There is no actual town or village by the name of Felkirk.
The current stone church at Felkirk is believed to be the first church built in the north after the Harrying of the North by the William the Conqueror (1069/70). An exact date is not given but is believed to be towards the end of the 11th century by the Norman Lord Ilbert de laci. Various extensions have been built over the centuries and the church still serves the surrounding community despite the surrounding villages now having their own churches.
The school room also built on the same site was built in 1580 and has recently been refurbished to a high quality.
Much more detail can be found on the Brierly Village website.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Felkirk, Yorkshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|IARC = Archive.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|FELKIRK PARISH (1701) Online Records|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Warrington-Padgate Christ Church and comprising the whole ancient parish of Felkirk to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the FELKIRK PARISH page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1701.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464274.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 225-228. Date Accessed: 11 November 2013
- ↑ 'West Yorkshire, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812,' Ancestry, accessed 10 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 27 June 2014, at 15:14.
- This page has been accessed 1,843 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki