Feniton, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Fenton, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Honiton PLU|
|Parish registers: 1549|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1606|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
FENITON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Honiton, hundred of Hayridge, Honiton and N. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Honiton. The village is situated near the river Otter, about one mile from the great western road. A Wesleyan meeting-house has been erected.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Feniton, Devon parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = Devon Parish Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|Feniton, Devon Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241313.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 228-230. Date accessed: 2 July 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Devon Parish Records Coverage,' Findmypast, accessed 15 November 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 12 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 19:29.
- This page has been accessed 1,776 times.