Fentress County, Tennessee GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Fentress County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than a dozen books or articles have been published about Fentress County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested.
- Main article: Fentress County, Tennessee
"This Personal Ancestral File database contains genealogies of nearly every family to live in Fentress County from its foundation." (Info file):
- York, Bruce E. Fentress County, Tennessee Genealogy Database. Gilbert, Arizona: B.E. York, 2006. FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 2701.
- [Brown] Descendant of William Brown, resident of Fentress County, Tennessee and Wayne County, Kentucky. Y-DNA 67 Marker Test, FTDNA (Kit 114770). Genetic signature available online (labeled Group No. 85), genealogical description available online, courtesy: Brown/Browne/Braun DNA Study. Matches have been found.
- [Doss] Descendant of William Delaney Doss, probably born in Fentress County, Tennessee about 1829, the son of William and Nancy (Brown) Doss. SMGF. Genetic signature available online, genealogical description available online, courtesy: The Doss DNA Project, World Families. DNA did not match anticipated Doss family.
- [Doss] Descendant of Fannie Doss, born in Kentucky about 1818, the daughter raised by William and Nancy (Brown) Doss. Raised in Fentress County, Tennessee. Her children used her surname. SMGF. Genetic signature available online, genealogical description available online, courtesy: The Doss DNA Project, World Families.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Crawford] Edward Crawford's Family: With Special Emphasis on those Descendants Who Lived in or Passed through Macoupin County, Illinois: With Eventual Concentrations in Illinois, Missouri, Oregon, Texas, Tennessee. n.p.: Crawford Family Book Committee, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 C856.
- [Frogge] Farmer, Jane Frogue. The Family of Frogge: A Catalog of the Descendants of Arthur Robinson Frogge and His Two Families. 3 vols. Sun City, Calif.: J.F. Farmer, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 F922fa ff.
- [Green] Patton, C.D. Faith of Our Fathers: Ancestors and Relatives of George and Pearl Green Patton; 51 Ministers and Lay People. n.p.: C.D. Patton, [1989?]. FHL Book 929.273 P278pf.
- [Holt] Payne, Ruth Holt. A History of the Holt Family in Washington County, Arkansas. Lincoln, AR: Lincoln Leader, 1960. FHL US/CAN Film 1031513; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Huddleston] Huddleston, George. Huddleston Family Tables. Concord, NH: Rumford Press, 1933. FHL Book 929.273 H866h 1973; digital versions at Ancestry ($); and Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Owsley] Owsley, Harriet. Owsley Charts: Master Charts Compiled from the Unpublished Census, 1850-1860. Microfilmed 1959. FHL Film 928764.
- [Phipps] Young, Asher Leon The Phipps Tree. Nashville, Tenn.: A.L. Young, 1983 - 1989. FamilySearch Books Online, Volume 1; FamilySearch Books Online, Volume 2; FHL Book 929.273 P557y v. 1 and 2.
- [Scroggins] Rising, Marsha Hoffman and Gale Williams Bamman. "Forging Links in a Surveyor's Chain: Samuel M. Scroggins of Missouri and Tennessee," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 83, No. 4 (December 1995):268-276. FHL Book 973 B2ng
- [Smith] Smith, Oma Ivadell. Smith-Garrett and Allied Families of Overton, Fentress and Pickett Counties, Tennessee: The Genealogy of Joseph Albert Smith and Nova Catherine Garrett. Jacksonville, Fla.: O. Smith, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 Sm61e
- [Taylor] Taylor, Lillian Goff. Around the Fan Chart, or, European Background and Ancestry of Three Brothers: Robert Goff Taylor, Born 1918, Harold Newell Taylor, Born 1923, Bruce Carson Taylor, Born 1939, Sons of Lawrence Robert Taylor, 1893-1959. Houston, TX: Universal Print. Co., 1968. Digital versions at Ancestry ($); and Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Upchurch] Richter, Sue Bright. Upchurch - Bright Family Newsletter. Madison, Alabama : S.B. Richter, 1989-. FHL FAM Book 929.27305 Up1b.
- [West] Robbins, Kathleen W. West Family History Records: Presented to the Scott County Historical Society on May 31, 1985. [Oneida, Tenn.]: K.W. Robbins, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 W52rk.
- [York] Cowan, Sam K. and Alvin Cullum York. Sergeant York and His People. n.p.: Fentress County Historical Society, [1965?]. FHL Book 921.73 Y82c.
- [York] York, Bruce E. Are You Related to Sergeant York? Microfilmed 1995. FHL Film 1598347 Item 8.
- This page was last modified on 14 November 2012, at 22:54.
- This page has been accessed 545 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More