Feock, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Feock, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Feock Church -Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Truro PLU|
|Parish registers: 1671|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
FEOCK, ST. (St. Feock), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (S.) from Truro. There are places of worship for Baptists, Calvinists, and Wesleyans.
Feock Saint Feocca is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Carnon Downs, Devoran, Penpoll, and Townsend.
The Parish Church is dedicated to Saint Feoca, about whom very little is known. Although the saint is usually assumed to have been female, Hals described a stained glass window in the church with St Feock portrayed as a man.
The church has a 13th century tower and font, the remainder being 19th century.
Thomas Lobb, Victorian botanist and plant hunter is buried in Devoran churchyard. Trelissick Garden has been in the ownership of the National Trust since 1955 when it was donated by Ida Copeland following the death of her son Geoffrey, a stained glass memorial—bearing the Copeland Crest—remains to this effect in the small church in Feock.
Feock is twinned with the Breton village L'Hôpital Camfrout in Finistère, Brittany, France
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Feock, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Feock, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1671-1807, 1820-1887||1671-1807, 1754-1907||1671-1959|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference P 64/
Note that Devoran,Cornwall P 49 may also be relevant for searches
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Feock.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241269.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Feock in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 230-232 Date accessed: 13 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 22 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 15 August 2014, at 15:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,971 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki