Florida Divorce Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Florida, Divorce Index, 1927-2001 .
This Collection will include records from 1927 to 2001.
The collection consists of indexes to divorces from the Florida Department of Health in Jacksonville. The index is provided by Ancestry.com.
The index lists the following information:
- Name of husband
- Name of wife
- Docket number
- Divorce date
- Divorce place
- Reference number (page, volume, entry number)
How to Use the Record
Begin your search by finding your ancestors in the index. Name indexes to divorces make it possible to access a specific record quickly. Remember that these indexes may contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
When searching the index it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of the divorce
- The place where the divorce occurred
- The approximate divorce date
Use the locator information found in the index (such as page, volume, or entry number) to locate your ancestor in the divorce records. Compare the information in the record to what you already know about your ancestor to determine if this is the correct person. You may need to compare the information of more than one person to make this determination.
If you do not find the person you are looking for, try the following:
- Look for alternate spellings of names.
- Look for a different index. Divorce records are a court record. Court records are often indexed at the beginning or end of record volumes. You might also want to check with a local genealogical or historical society as they often have indexes to local records.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Florida, Divorce Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Florida Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Florida.|
Florida Department of Health http://www.doh.state.fl.us/planning_eval/vital_statistics/marriage.htm
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for this Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Florida, Divorce Index, 1927-2001." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Florida, Divorce Index." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2005.
- This page was last modified on 21 August 2014, at 20:55.
- This page has been accessed 6,226 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki