Floyd County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than a dozen family history books and articles have been published about Floyd County's families.
- Main article: Floyd County, Virginia
Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy Message Boards
- Floyd County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum. (0+ messages)
- Floyd - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry. (0+ messages)
Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
Floyd County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 0 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Floyd County families include:
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Virginia, Early Settlers: From the Earliest Times through 1795, in the Area that was Botetourt County in 1782, Covers Parts of Present-day Counties of Montgomery, Bath, Giles, Floyd, Alleghany, Roanoke, Craig and Monroe. Troutville, Va.: n.p., 1979?. FHL Fiche 6015637-6015638.
- Shelor, Sue Jefferson. Pioneers and Their Coat of Arms of Floyd County: Genealogies of Prominent Early Settlers of the Blue Ridge Plateau of Virginia. Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter Publishing, 1961. FHL Book 929.273 Sh44s.
Floyd County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Cox] Peterson, Dorothy Burnett. Blue Ridge Heritage; Burnett, Branscome, Hylton, Cox, Slaughter and Related Families. Memphis, Tenn.: Roblee Press, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 B934p.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 6 Includes Floyd County.
- [Harman] Harman, John Newton. Harman Genealogy (Southern Branch): With Biographical Sketches, 1700-1924. Richmond, Va.: W.C. Hill Print. Co., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Howell] Roseberry, Greg E. The Elbert Howell -- Bertha Burnop Family of Floyd, Smyth, and Montgomery Counties, Virginia: Including the Burnop, Duncan, Fischbach, Hanks, Heimbach, Holtzclaw, Howell, Hylton, Morricle, Otterbach, Pratt, Stuell, Vaughan, and Weddle Families. Lincoln, Neb.: Writers Club Press, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 H839rg.
- [Keith] King, Larry. Keith Kinfolks. Descendants of James Keith, Sr., From 1720 to 1979. Hendersonville, Tenn., 1979. FHL Book 929.273 K269a.
- [Lester] Tise, Marguerite. The Lester Family of Floyd County and Montgomery County, Virginia. Floyd, Va.: M. Tise, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 L567t; FHL Book 929.273 L567t 1997.
- [LeSueur] Allen, Cameron. "David LeSueur (1703/04-1771/72) of Manakin Town, Virginia: An Outline of the First Three Generations of His Descendants, As Constructed from the Tax Records of the 'Burned' County of Buckingham," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1999):3-22; Vol. 43, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1999):110-125; Vol. 43, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1999):178-189; Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):256-269. Available at FHL; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Light] Vaughn, Onie W. "Light Family Sketch," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 3, No. 13 (Feb. 1980):15-17. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 3 (1980).
- [Link] McNeil, Maynard W. Genealogy of the Link Family of Floyd County, Virginia. Washington, N.J.: M. McNeil, 1990. FHL Film 1697501 Item 19.
- [Peterman] Tise, Marguerite. The Peterman Family of Floyd and Montgomery Counties Virginia. Floyd, Va.: M. Tise, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 P442tm.
- [Reed] Randers-Pehrson, Nancy Mae Little and Glenn Randers-Pehrson. The John Marchel and Anne Cora (Nichols) Reed Family: of Franklin and Floyd Counties, Virginia, and Harford and Cecil Counties, Maryland. Edgewood, Maryland: N.M. & G. Randers-Pehrson, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 R251rp.
- [Slusher] See Turman.
- [Smith] McNeil, Maynard W., Luther N. Byrd, and Ethel Simmons Pell. The Smith Family of Botetourt and Floyd Counties, Va. and Surrey and Stokes Counties, N.C.: Descendants of Absolem and Humphrey Smith. Washington, New Jersey: M.W. McNeil, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 5983.
- [Turman] King, Hatcher and Alta King. Turman and Slusher Genealogy, 1757-1974: Christopher Slusher Sr., Wife, Eva, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania, Fredrick, Washington Counties, Maryland, Montgomery, Floyd Counties, Virginia. MSS., FHL Book 962558 Item 1 etc.
- [Willis] "Willis Family Collection," Family File, 1968, Augusta County Historical Society.
- This page was last modified on 24 October 2014, at 00:19.
- This page has been accessed 3,226 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page