Fort Shaw Indian Boarding School (Montana)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Fort Shaw Industrial Indian Boarding School opened in 1891. It was discontinued 30 June 1910, due to declining enrollment.
In 1904, it had a famous girls' basketball team that barnstormed its way to St. Louis playing basketball and performing, and won the "World Championship" at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
- Registers of pupils, 1892-1910
- Sanitary Reports, 1894-1899
- Roster of employees, 1891-1910
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Fort Shaw Indian Industrial School. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the school, as well as the pupils at the school. However, they are recorded on the general population schedules, not the Indian Population Schedules. They are recorded as District 215, Fort Shaw Indian Industrial School, in Cascade County, Montana.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Fort Shaw Boarding School, 1907-1910, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 53, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (their microfilm number 1724271).
A census for Fort Shaw School was taken in 1910 as part of the Annual Indian Census Rolls. This roll has been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 161. A copy of this record is also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 576850). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 29 March 2012, at 15:06.
- This page has been accessed 3,710 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page