Fort Smith Arkansas Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Fort Smith, Arkansas Family History Center serves anyone in western Arkansas or eastern Oklahoma with their genealogy research. We have up-to-date computers that are equipped with premium family websites that would cost an individual over $2000 a year in subscription fees. There is no cost to visit the Family History Center and everyone with an interest in genealogical research is welcome.
Center Contacts and Hours
- Location Map
- 8712 Horan Drive, Fort Smith, AR 72903-4360 United States
- The entrance is on the west side of the building. Please knock as the door may be locked during center hours.
FHC Director: Mary Lue Mondier 479-462-5028
- Tuesday 10am.-4pm
- Wednesday 6pm.-9pm
- Thursday 10am.-3pm
- 2 and 4th Saturday 10am.- 2pm.
- New Years Day
- When Fort Smith Public Schools are closed due to inclement weather.
RESEARCH NIGHTS are held on the second Wednesday evening of the month at 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Trained consultants will be on hand to assist you. All services of the Fort Smith Family History Center are open to the public.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- The Fort Smith Family History Center has a great collection of genealogy books from neighboring counties and native american resources.
- History in Headstones - Crawford County, Arkansas. The "Go-To" for anyone looking for family member's graves, long forgotten cemeteries, etc. will be pleased to know that the late author's daughter, Jan Whitt, has reprinted the hard-backed book. A limited number of copies are available at the Fort Smith, Arkansas Family History Center for $30 payable to the Ms. Whitt. This book has a currently copyright and is mentioned here with permission of Ms. Whitt as a courtesy to family historians.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
The center has 5 computers on which the trained staff can help you with your family history research. In addition, a state of the art Lexmark printer/copier/scanner is available for your use. Please bring a USB flashstick with you if you want to scan photos or documents for inclusion in your family history paper.
Trained experts are available to help you with: Arkansas and Oklahoma Genealogy. Native American Genealogy - Tuesday's are the best day for this research. Family Search training and tips. General Family History Questions. "Brick Wall" experts are at the center on Thursdays. Free help is available whenever the center is open. Bring you children as we have Family History Games for them. Bring your husband as we have military and other historical records of interest just for men.
Fort Smith Public Library Genealogy Department. http://www.fortsmithlibrary.org/genmain.html
Crawford County, Arkansas FamilySearch WIKI
Crawford County, Arkansas Public Library Genealogy Resources: http://www2.youseemore.com/crawfordcls/contentpages.asp?loc=6
The Sequoyah County, Oklahoma Public Library in Sallisaw Oklahoma is a great place to advance your Cherokee genealogy research. http://public-libraries.org/resources/library/genealogy-research-at-the-library/
Volunteer at the Center
Anyone with a sincere interest in helping others with their family history research while expanding their own skills are welcomed and encouraged to contact the center. Hours are flexible. The most important thing to bring with you is a desire to serve others.
- This page was last modified on 23 March 2015, at 03:18.
- This page has been accessed 1,511 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More