France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records, 1680-1789 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Index aux Dossiers Ecclésiastiques
This Collection will include records from 1680 to 1789.
The collection consists of a card index to all "B" surnames extracted from the 38 parishes of Rouen, France. Families are linked together on genealogical forms. In most cases, names are filed by "sound" rather than strictly alphabetical. Use of images of this index is strictly limited to personal research only and is not intended to be used for profit. For permission contact: Mr. Jean-Pierre Bardet, Professeur Emérite Université de Paris-Sorbonne (Paris IV), 1, rue Victor-Cousin, 75005, Paris.
Publication of French records is authorized by the French commission for Informatics and Liberties (CNIL). FamilySearch has requested approval from this entity to publish French records.
As soon as permission has been granted by the CNIL, publication of French records will become available on FamilySearch.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records, 1680-1789.|
Publication of French records is authorized by the French Commission for Informatics and Liberties (CNIL). Original images can be ordered or viewed through the following mediums:
- Microfilms and microfiche are available for viewing at your nearest FamilySearch Center. For information see: Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche.
- You may request a digital copy of items found in the FamilySearch Catalog. For information see: Photo duplication Services
- The archives of France are available at:
French geneawiki Archives
- Full names of husband and wife
- Marriage date
- Birth date
- Death date
- Names of children
- Birth dates of children
How to Use the Record
To search the collection by name: Fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
To search the collection by image,
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select "Drawer Number and Name Range" which takes you to the images. Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in French. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen items or FHL Keyword France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see France Archives and Libraries.|
- Searching French Family History Records
- History of France - sites and blogs (in French)
- Beginning Research in France: Part 1 of 2 (video and slides)
- France Resources
- Facebook pages Histoire-de-France-sites-et-blogs 348011018559505
- Familysearch blog French-family-history-records
Related Wiki Articles
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- “France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records, 1680-1789.” Images. FamilySearch. : accessed 2015. Citing Bardet, Jean-Pierre. Archives Departementales Prefecture.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for France, Seine-Maritime, Rouen, Indexes to Church Records, 1680-1789.|
- This page was last modified on 18 August 2015, at 19:50.
- This page has been accessed 6,147 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News