Gadsden County, Florida GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Gadsden County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gadsden County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||June 24, 1823|
Gadsden County, Florida Record Dates
Gadsden County Courthouse
10 E Jefferson St; PO Box 1799
Quincy, FL 32351
County Judge has marriage and probate records
Clerk Circuit has divorce, court and land records. 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1849 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Jackson • Leon • Liberty • Seminole County, Georgia
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
- Edwards Cemetery, Greensboro BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- Maps of Florida (1821-1997)
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1877 - 1939 Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1900 - 1921 Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1877 - 1998 Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1837 - 1974 Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1830 - 1993 Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1849-1885 - Gadsden County Marriage Books A and B Index 1849-1885. Batch M513081 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1887 - Gadsden County Marriage Books A and B Index 1849-1887. Batch M743634 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Gadsden County Marriage Index 1881-1885. Batch M004319 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1887-1899 - Gadsden County Marriage Book C Index 1887-1899. Batch M743674 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1899-1913 - Gadsden County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1899-1913. Batch M001196 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1899-1930 - Gadsden County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1899-1930. Batch M743676 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1913-1919 - Gadsden County Marriage Book 3 Index 1913-1919. Batch M743632 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1919-1931 - Gadsden County Marriage Books 4 and 5 Index 1919-1931. Batch M744245 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Family History Centers
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Gadsden County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Gadsden County FLGenWeb
- State of Florida
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Gadsden County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Gadsden County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gasden County, Florida. Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 15 July 2015, at 20:18.
- This page has been accessed 9,417 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News