Garland County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Garland County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Garland County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||April 5, 1873|
|County Seat||Hot Springs|
|Address|| Garland County Courthouse|
501 Ouachita Avenue
Hot Springs, AR 71901
See an interactive map of Garland County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
- 1878-1942 - St. Lukes Episcopal Church, Hot Spring, Baptism Index 1878-1942. Batch C586801 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1878-1895 - St. Lukes Episcopal Church, Hot Spring, Marriage Index 1878-1895. Batch M586801 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1887 - First Methodist Church Baptism Index 1874-1887. Batch C586791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1884 - First Methodist Church Marriage Index 1876-1884. Batch M586791 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Garland County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Garland County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Garland County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1874-1931 - Garland County Marriage Books A, C, I-K, M-Z, 2-4, 28-61 Index 1874-1931 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1921 - Garland County Marriage Books A-C, I-K, M-Z, 2-4 Index 1874-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Garland County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 67.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 17 May 2013, at 20:32.
- This page has been accessed 1,468 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More