Garrard County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Garrard County Kentucky ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Garrard County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 17, 1796|
Garrard County Kentucky Courthouse
Lancaster, KY 40444
8-4 Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri.
8-12 Wed., Sat.
Garrard County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Lost census: 1890
Garrard County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Buena Vista||Judson||Mount Hebron||Three Forks|
|Cartersville||Lancaster||New Union (hist.)||Toddville|
|Camp Nelson (hist.)||Lowell||Nina||White Oak|
Garrard County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- [Kentucky_Minorities|Kentucky Minorities]] has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Garrard Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Garrard County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The FamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Garrard County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Garrard County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Garrard County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
The 1890 U.S. Federal Census is lost; however, a substitute is available. See Taxation.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Forrest Calico studied many Garrard County families. His large collection of files, kept in Lancaster, Ky., were microfilmed in 1959: FHL Films 183258-183264.
- [Alford] James, Jessamine Bland. Family Records of Andrew Hunter of Louisa County, Virginia, and Jacob Alford of Garrard County, Kentucky, and Charles Alford of Garrard Co., Ky. Copied from Court Records, Bibles, and Tombstones. Typescript. Donated 1958. FHL Fiche 6018643
- [Alford] James, Jessamine Bland. Records of the Andrew Hunter Family of Louisa Co., Virginia, and Jacob Alford Family of Garrard County, Kentucky, and Charles Alford of Garrard County, Kentucky. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Film 854151 Item 6
- [Bainbridge] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Bland] James, Jessamine Bland. Records of the Andrew Hunter Family of Louisa Co., Virginia, and Jacob Alford Family of Garrard County, Kentucky, and Charles Alford of Garrard County, Kentucky. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Film 854151 Item 6
- [Bruce] Smith, Zachary F. and Mary Rogers Clay. The Clay Family. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton and Company, 1899. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. and James D. Finley. Before David: An Addendum to David Finley (1754-1848) of Garrard, Kentucky and Orange County, Indiana. Santa Rosa, Calif.: C.J. Finley, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 F496fca
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John and Mary Finley of Montgomery (Wythe) County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 34, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1990):243-255; Vol. 35, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1991):18-33; Vol. 35, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1991):122-135; Vol. 35, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1991):173-185; Vol. 35, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1991):251-262. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 34 (1990)-v. 35 (1991).
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John Finley of Montgomery/Wythe County, Virginia: Additional Children Identified," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):3-22; Vol. 39, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1995):94-103; Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):202-212; Vol. 39, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1995):282-294. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Frye] Wylie, William Bird. Bird Genealogy. St. Louis, Mo.: W.B. Wylie, 1903. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Book 929.273 B532w.
- [Henderson] Robinson, Peggy H. Alexander Hamilton of Garrard County, Kentucky, and His Descendants. Lexington, Ky.: P.H. Robinson, 1975. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 2623
- [Hill] Hill, L. Henry. Genealogy of the Hill Family of Garrard and Madison Counties, Kentucky. Evansville, Ind.: Unigraphic, 1978. FHL Book 929.273 H55d
- [Jennings] Loeber, Charles. Jennings Family, Garrard County, Kentucky: Address Delivered ... Consulting Engineer for the Jennings Family Record ... Richmond, Virginia, at a Meeting Held in Garrard County Court House, Lancaster, Kentucky, Monday, December 23rd, 1929 at 7 P.M. Lancaster, Ky.: Printed by the Central Record, 1929. FHL Film 1463955 Item 28.
- [Letcher] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [McIntosh] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Robertson] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Rogers] Irwin, Lyndon N. The Rogers Family of Paint Lick and Crab Orchard: Ancestry and Descendants Joseph and Ellen Steward Rogers of Garrard, Rockcastle, and Lincoln Counties in Kentucky. Bois D'Arc and Ozark, Mo.: L. Irwin, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 R632i
- [Sassin] Allen, Cameron. "Francois Sasin/Sassin of Manakin Town: The First Six Generations of the Sassin/Sasseen Family in America," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1993):3-17; Vol. 37, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1993):99-116; Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):193-205; Vol. 37, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1993):259-271. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993).
- [Warner] Reynolds, Lyman Foster. Peter Warner Born Maryland - Fredrick County: Revolutionary War Soldier (with George Washington in Capture of Trenton) to Lincoln County Kentucky 1780's, Children Settled in Kentucky; Lincoln, Garrard, Boyle, Mercer & Washington Counties; Indiana Putnam County. Louisville, Ky.: L.F. Reynolds, 2007. FHL Book 929.273 W246r
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- The KY Land Office
- The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Garrard County land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
Local histories are available for Garrard County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Abstracts of Pension Papers Pertaining to Soldiers of the Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and Indian wars Who Resided in Garrard County, Kentucky. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Garrard County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Garrard County, Kentucky:
- - 1st Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J and K.
- - 1st Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company B.
- - 1st Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Wolford's Cavalry) (Union), Company C.
- - 3rd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, E, F, G, H, I and K.
- - 4th Regiment, Kentucky Mounted Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and K.
- - 7th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and K.
- - 8th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A.
- - 12th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company A.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Garrard County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Garrard County, Kentucky Clerk of Court and are housed at the Garrard County, Kentucky Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1797, 1799 - Kurtz, Harold J. 1797 and 1799 Tax List of Garrard County, Kentucky. Lancaster, Ky.: Garrard County Historical Society, 1990. FHL Book 976.9525 R4k
- 1797-1802 - Kurtz, Harold J. 1797-1802 Taxpayers of Garrard County, Kentucky. Lancaster, Ky.: Garrard County Historical Society, 1990, 1997. FHL Book 976.9525 R48k
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Garrard County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1890 - Kurtz, Harold J. 1890 Tax List of Garrard County, Kentucky. Richmond, Ky.: Garrard County Historical Society, 198-. FHL Book 976.9 A1 no. 347
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Garrard County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Garrard County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1859 - Garrard County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517371 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Garrard County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517372 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Garrard County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517373 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Garrard County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517371 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Garrard County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517374 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Garrard County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517375 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Garrard County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Kentucky Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Garrard County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Garrard County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Garrard Co. KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Garrard County,Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Garrard County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Garrard County, Kentucky page 270, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 22:05.
- This page has been accessed 19,582 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page