Gawsworth, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Gawsworth, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Macclesfield PLU|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1586|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
GAWSWORTH, is a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal and the North Staffordshire railway, it is 3½ miles SW by S of Macclesfield. The post town is, Macclesfield. The sub-district contains also five townships of Prestbury parish, and one of Astbury.
Gawsworth St James is an Ancient parish There is a record of a chapel on the site in the 13th century but the present building dates from the 15th century.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241238.
Gawsworth St James registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|Gawsworth St James Parish (1557) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1557-1885
|FS BT'S||1586-1868|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Gawsworth, St. James (C of E), is the ancient parish church for the township of Gawsworth. The following records are deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Registers of Baptisms 1557–1885, Marriages 1557–1987 and Burials 1557–1993. CRO call numbers: P193/4467/1-8, 13, P193/5583
- Bishop's transcripts for Gawsworth, 1586-1868. CRO call number: EDB 92.
Here is a list of church records on microfilm at theFamily History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
|Parish register content||FHL Film #|
|Baptisms, 1813-1885. Marriages, 1668-1837. Burials, 1667-1673. Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1557-1667, 1673-1812.||1999985|
|Marriages, 1837-1958; Burials, 1813-1860||2000007 Items 1 - 3|
|Burials, 1860-1993.||2147232 Item 4|
|Bishop's transcripts content||FHL Film #|
|Marriages, 1586-1791, 1813-1836. Baptisms, burials, 1586-1839, 1841-1842, 1867-1868. Baptisms, 1851.||1655672 Item 2|
Gawsworth, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), The Warren. Built in 1892. The following records are deposited at the Cheshire Record Office;
CRO call number EMS 369.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Macclesfield (1837–1998)
- Cheshire East (1998+)
Poor Law Unions
- Macclesfield Poor Law Union,Cheshire
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date Accessed: 1 March 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 14 October 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Cheshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 16 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 15 October 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 25 April 2014.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
BibliographyClifton-Taylor, Alec (1974), English Parish Churches as Work of Art, London: Batsford, p. 240, ISBN 0 7134 2776 0
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 222–223, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 160–164
Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, p. 38, ISBN 1871731232
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 133, ISBN 0 907768 18 0
- This page was last modified on 19 September 2014, at 19:46.
- This page has been accessed 3,817 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki