GenerousgenealogistsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Stated most simply, GenerousGenealogists is a community of volunteers who agree to provide free genealogy research and assistance, as an act of kindness, to “those in need.” But, that simple statement does not define GenerousGenealogists totally. They are a vibrant, vital and growing community teaching and helping each other in the best methods and traditions of the genealogists of today, yesterday and hopefully tomorrow.
GenerousGenealogists built its site, activities, and mission upon the following concepts and ideals:
- the golden rule or at least a variation of it- “help others as you would be helped“
- Paying Forward- the expression “pay it forward“ describes the notion of requesting that beneficiaries of a good deed repay people other than their benefactor(s). According to Wikipedia, the phrase may have been coined by Lily Hardy Hammond in her 1916 book In the Garden of Delight
- the open source [software] community, as evidenced by a Social Contract, which is derived from that of Debian [Linux]; as well as
- the mission and intent of the original RAOGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness) group founded and managed between 1999 and 2011 by Bridgett and Dale Schneider. (Note: They are not trying to replicate RAOGK; their design is different, more current, and their scope is much broader…)
They are constantly striving for excellence, empathy and understanding of each other, the past, families and who "we" are. They are available to help break through brickwalls, discuss tools & techniques, provide coaching and learn from each other.
GenerousGenealogists volunteers agree to donate their time for free; recipients of their assistance agree to pay/ reimburse our volunteers for any/all expenses incurred in the fulfillment of “their” requests (including: copies, printing fees, postage, film or video tape, parking fees, mileage, etc.).
The assistance, research and networking they provide are made available freely and without respect or intent of financial gain. All any GenerousGenealogists volunteer will ever request of you is expense reimbursement and a Thank You.
- This page was last modified on 10 February 2013, at 13:58.
- This page has been accessed 682 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki