George's Independent Company, Ohio CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
George's Independent Company, Ohio Cavalry was organized for three months at Gallipolis, Ohio, July 2, 1861. They were attached to Cox's Kanawha Brigade, and had duty in Kanawha District, West Virginia, until September. They were mustered out September 10, 1861. 
For additional history of this company, see
- John S. George's Independent Company Ohio Volunteer Calvalry includes a short history and a link to the roster.
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, George's Independent Company Cavalry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:19.
- This page has been accessed 975 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More