Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg, Cottbus, Miscellaneous City Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg, Cottbus, Miscellaneous City Records, 1672-1919 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Deutschland, Brandenburg, Cottbus Archivgut
This Collection will include records from 1672 to 1919.
This is a collection of mixed records from the city archives of Cottbus. Most of the records are handwritten in narrative style and, in later years, in formatted forms. The record text is in German. Includes military records, land & property records, citizen rolls, Jewish records, city directories, and some items from Sandow.
This collection may include records such as:
- Wills and estates
- Land and tenancy records
- Court records
- Tax records
- Funeral sermons and sexton records
- Voting registers
- Council meeting protocols
- Hospital books
For a list of records by date or locality currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg, Cottbus, Miscellaneous City Records, 1672-1919.|
- Germany Brandenburg Cottbus Miscellaneous City Records 1672-1919 (11-1299) Kriegsmusterung DGS 5237870 354.jpg
Military Muster roll
- Germany Brandenburg Cottbus Miscellaneous City Records 1672-1919 (11-1299) Militärstammrollen DGS 5237879 450.jpg
Military Unit Muster Roll
- Germany Brandenburg Cottbus Miscellaneous City Records 1672-1919 (11-1299) Stammrolle DGS 5237870 148.jpg
Records generally contain the following information:
- Names of parents, children, witnesses
- Dates and places of events, ages
- Residence and religion of principals
- Occupation of principal person and maybe of other people listed depending on the record
How to Use the Record
To search the collection,
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select “City or Town”
⇒Select “Record type, Year range, and Volume” which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
In order to find data in this collection, it will be necessary to know at least the name of the ancestor, the place of the event, and an approximate date.
Some records have indexes at the end of the volume. Frequently, these indexes are arranged by the given name of the individual and sometimes use the Latin form of the name. Those volumes without indexes need to be searched chronologically for the individuals sought.
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information about other people listed in the record. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the birth or baptism date and place to find the family in other civil records or church records.
- The parents' places of origin can tell you former residences and can help to establish a migration pattern for the family.
- It is often helpful to extract the information on all children with the same parents. If the surname is unusual, you may want to compile baptism entries for every person of the same surname and sort them into families based on the names of the parents. Continue to search the baptism records to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who were born, married, and died in or near to the same place.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place Germany, Preußen, Brandenburg items or FHL Keyword Germany, Preußen, Brandenburg items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Germany Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
- Germany Archives and Libraries
- Germany Church Records
- Germany locating civil registration records not at the Family History Library
- Germany Genealogy
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg, Cottbus, Miscellaneaous City Records, 1672-1919." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing Magistrat. Stadtarchiv Cottbus.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Prussia, Brandenburg, Cottbus, Miscellaneous City Records, 1672-1919.|
- This page was last modified on 27 May 2015, at 08:00.
- This page has been accessed 5,528 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News