Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records, 1647-1764 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Deutschland, Preußen, Pommern, Labes, Kirchenbücher
This collection contains Catholic Church records containing births, marriages, and deaths for the parish of Labes in Pomerania, Prussia. The original records are in private possession. These records are in German. Labes is now modern Łobez, Szczecin, Poland. Pomerania is a historical region on the south shore of the Baltic Sea. The name Pomerania (Pommern in German) comes from Slavic po more, which means Land at the Sea.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records, 1647-1764.|
Birth records may contain the following information:
- Full name of child
- Date of birth
- Names of parents
Marriage records may contain the following information:
- Full name of bride and groom
- Date and place of marriage
- Maiden name of wife
- Names of witnesses
Death records may contain the following information:
- Full name of deceased
- Date and place of death
- Names of family members
How to Use the Record
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Search the Collection
To search by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Event Type and Year Range" category which will take you to the images. Images are categorized the following way: Heiraten (marriages), Taufen (baptisms), and Tote(deaths).
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in German. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Using the Information
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community.
- Check nearby locations for records. Since the town is in modern-day Poland, here is a link to an 1893 map which shows German place names of the region:Labes, Prussia 1893 map
|FHL Place Pommern, Labes items or FHL Keyword Pommern, Labes items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
- German Script Tutorial, Brigham Young University Center for Family History and Genealogy
- FamilySearch Germany/Prussia Research Facebook Page
- Germanic Genealogy Society
- Pomeranian Genealogy, Genealoger
- Pomeranian Genealogy
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- “Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org: accessed 2014. Citing private collection, Soborg, Denmark.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Germany, Prussia, Pomerania, Labes, Church Records, 1647-1764.|
- This page was last modified on 27 January 2015, at 06:51.
- This page has been accessed 2,661 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More