Getting Started with Historical RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The User Guidance unit focuses on writing articles in the FamilySearch Wiki about genealogical collections provided online through FamilySearch.org. We are very excited to have you working with us. Whether you choose to be an official volunteer or an occasional collaborator, how long you work on our site and what you work on will remain completely up to you. If you are unsure where to begin, here are a few ways you can help out:
Sign Up as an Official Historical Records Volunteer
- Fill out our questionnaire and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Receive email updates from locations or topics that interest you.
Add Content to Our “Stub” Articles
Join an Online Family History Community
These communities are being created to help you and others researching in the same area to help you:
- Collaborate on your research
- Ask questions and share answers
- Share knowledge from personal research
To join a Family History Community on Facebook, simply visit one of the linked History Community pages, "Like" the page, and start posting.
United States of America:
- American Indian (Southeastern US)
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
General Links for Creating/Editing Wikis
An Introduction to the Wiki
- Navigation - Learn more about the purpose and direction of the FamilySearch wiki.
- Wiki Basics - Learn the basics to get the most out of the Wiki.
- Contributor Help - This page provides links to lessons and videos to help you register for FamilySearch and learn how to edit and update the wiki articles.
Creating New Wiki Pages
Creating a Page - This page provides links to our formatting style guide, as well as a process by which you can create a completely new page to share the genealogy you know.
Before creating a new wiki article page, Remember:
- First look for similarly titled Wiki articles you can add your content to. This helps us prevent the creation of duplicate articles.
- Be very careful when you edit in wiki text. Some common errors found in the wiki include: capitalizing the title in the template, not repeating CID, and putting a space between the CIDs or between CID and the CID number.
Editing Wiki Pages
- Wiki Markup - Wiki markup is the text you use to format a Historical Records Wiki page. This page will explain the links, URLs, and formatting you will need to use.
- Help:Formatting – This page will help explain formatting tricks to use in the wiki.
Deleting Wiki Pages
Deleting Wiki Articles – While wiki users are not generally authorized to delete pages, this page explains how you can mark an article as needing to be deleted.
- This page was last modified on 14 July 2014, at 17:32.
- This page has been accessed 4,936 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page