Givens Hot Springs, Owyhee County, IdahoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Givens Hot Springs was formerly known as Enterprise.
Givens Hot Springs is located 11 miles southeast of Marsing, not far from the Snake River.
There is a small cemetery at Givens Hot Springs. Some of the headstones have been copied and are available online (7 interments - 25 Nov 2009 - Findagrave.com)
The Gem State Rural's 1918-19 Farm Directory of Owyhee County Idaho and Malheur County, Oregon is available online. It lists landowners by town, including those owning land in these two counties, but residing elsewhere. The amount of acreage owned, the location of the land, and a list of crops raised on each farm is also included. The resident land owners of the Givens Hot Springs area are listed on pages 43-44.
These natural hot springs were known to the Indians and were discovered by the Oregon Trail emigrants traveling along the south branche of that trail.
In 1879, the Milford Givens family stopped at the springs and decided to stay. A bath house was built around the springs. In 1903, a hotel and restaurant, with an ice cream parlour and picnic grounds, were added.
The Givens Hot Springs school was established in 1907. A Hot Springs Ferry operated a mile downriver.
The hotel burned in 1939 and was never rebuilt. The bath house was torn down in 1952 and a new facility was built on the same site.
Givens Hot Springs History
The Oregon Trail in Idaho: Givens Hot Springs.
The Idaho State Archives in Boise has copies of the following newspaper published at Givens Hot Springs:
- Enterprise times -- 1988:1:14-1988:10
- ↑ Idaho's Owyhee: Snake River Country - An Auto Tour. Souvenir Edition. [n.p., c1987].
- This page was last modified on 1 March 2011, at 19:58.
- This page has been accessed 1,158 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More