Glastonbury St Benedict, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Glastonbury St Benedict, Somerset family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Glastonbury St Benedict, Somerset|
|Poor Law Union||Wells PLU|
|Parish registers: 1663|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
GLASTONBURY, a market-town, in the union of Wells, hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, E. division of Somerset, 124 miles (W. by S.) from London. Glastonbury consists of the parishes of St. Benedict and St. John the Baptist, for uniting which an act was obtained in 1834. The livings are distinct, and are perpetual curacies in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, the appropriator. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Independents.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Glastonbury St Benedict, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|SOPC = Somerset Online Parish Clerks - free|
|GLASTONBURY ST BENEDICT PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474598.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 20 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', FindMyPast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 3 August 2014, at 15:46.
- This page has been accessed 2,124 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki