Goathill, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Goathill, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Dorset Parishes Goathill
|Poor Law Union||Sherborne PLU|
|Parish registers: 1699|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Wells|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
GOATHILL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Sherborne, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of Somerset, 2¼ miles (E.) from Sherborne.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Goathill, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|Goathill, Somerset Online Parish Records|
Goathill's early parish registers are stored at the Dorset History Centre.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474598.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 301-312. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 December 2012.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Partially indexed.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Somerset, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 21 October 2013.
- ↑ E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.
- This page was last modified on 4 December 2014, at 19:41.
- This page has been accessed 1,855 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More