Goodnestone (near Sandwich), KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Goodnestone (near Sandwich), Kent family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Goodnestone (near Sandwich), Kent|
Goodnestone Holy Cross Kent
|Poor Law Union||Faversham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1569|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1567|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
GOODNESTONE (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Wingham, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Wingham.
Goodnestone is a village and civil parish in the Dover district of Kent, see Goodnestone Dover Wikipedia
Goodnestone Holy Cross is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury; the church dates in part from the 12th century with 13th century extension and rebuilt tower from 15th century. A map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
Nearby Goodnestone Park was built by Brook Bridges,1st Baronet whose family were related by marriage to Jane Austen who frequently visited. The Bridges family memorials are within the church.
The church of the Holy Cross, The Street, Goodnestone has been designated grade I listed building by English Heritage British listed building.
The parish should not be confused with Goodnestone (near Faversham), Kent St Bartholomew.
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Goodnestone (near Sandwich), Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Goodnestone (near Sandwich), Kent Parish Online Records|
|FMP||1558-1893||1558-1893||1754-1893 (Banns)||1754-1893 (Banns)||1600-1961||1600-1961|
Images for Goodnestone near Sandwich are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306861.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 315-319. Date accessed: 5 August 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 2 June 2014, at 20:22.
- This page has been accessed 2,900 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback