Gosport, HampshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Gosport, Hampshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Gosport, Hampshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|GOSPORT PARISH Online Records|
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288794. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Cover Picture and Story of the Bond Family of Gosport Collegiate College. The picture of John Bond and Family taken in front of the college in about 1890. It lists the children from left to right, and details of each member, dating from 1882-1971. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian, Vol. XV, no.3, cover picture and page 150. Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Russell, Carol. What's in a Name. Photo of wedding 1903 of William Olden and Lily. All persons are named, and a little history of the family, starting 1877-1903. Some of the family came from Southsea, and some from Gosport. Article in The Hampshire Family Historian vol. XV. no.1, May 1990, pages 24-25, Family History Library Ref. 942.27 B2h
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- ↑ Bartholomew, John Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887. Date accessed: 13 June 2013.
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 8 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 28 February 2014, at 18:31.
- This page has been accessed 556 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More