Grady County, OklahomaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Grady County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Grady County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|Address|| Grady County Courthouse|
326 W Choctaw Street
P.O. Box 1009
Chickasha, Oklahoma 73023
Grady County Courthouse
326 W Choctaw Street; PO Box 1009;
Chickasha, OK 73023
County Clerk has burial and military records from 1907;
Clerk Court has marriage, division, land, probate and court records from 1907
1907--Grady County was created 16 July 1907 from Chickasaw Lands.
County seat: Chickasha 
LDS Cemetery Records
Vol. 21 page 134 - Halcum Cemetery
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Grady County, Oklahoma. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Grady County, Oklahoma newspapers in online catalogs like:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Lawton newspapers that may have included Grady County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Oklahoma, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Oklahoma - Grady - Probate records.
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Chickasha Oklahoma Family History Center 1111 Ferguson Dr Chickasha OK 3018-6759 United States Location Map
- The Grady County OK GenWeb Project, a member of The OKGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grady County, Oklahoma. Page 559 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:22.
- This page has been accessed 5,764 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki