Green County, WisconsinEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Green County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Green County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||December 8, 1836|
|Address|| Green County Courthouse|
1016 16th Avenue
Monroe, WI 53566-2098
Green County Courthouse
1016 16th Avenue
Monroe, WI 53566-2098
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1907,
marrage records from 1846, death records from 1878
and land records; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and
Court records County Judge has probate records 
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Wisconsin Counties see: Wisconsin Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
- State Line Cemetery, Davis BillionGraves. This cemetery literally straddles the state line, with the bulk of the cemetery, and therefore nearly all of the burials, actually in Illinois. Access, however, is from East State Line Road on the Wisconsin side.
- Monroe Wisonsin Cemeteries
1855 Wisconsin State Census— Free indexed the 1855 Wisconsin State Census can be searched on the FamilySearch Record Search This census includes name of head of family, individuals in the household by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
1885 Wisconsin State Census Free indexed the 1885 Wisconsin State Census can be searched on the FamilySearch Record Search This census includes name of head of family, individuals in the household by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
Church History and Records
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Brooklyn, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Old Antique Atlases Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Green County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Green County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Green County.
- - 1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company K
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company I
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company I
- - 5th Independent Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery
- - 8th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company H
- - 9th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Companies F and K
- - 9th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Company B
Naturalization and Citizenship
Newspaperarchive.com has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Freeport, Illinois newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Green County. The Rock Island Public Library in Rock Island, Illinois provides free access to this database at its library.
- Wisconsin, Probate Estate Files, 1848-1933 - includes files from 1848-1885; via FamilySearch. As of 5/29/11 included images that can only be browsed, not searched.
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Green County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 756 Green County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Wisconsin-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 10 December 2014, at 13:47.
- This page has been accessed 9,919 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page