Greene County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Greene County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greene County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 5, 1833|
|Address|| Greene County Courthouse|
PO Box 62
Paragould, AR 72451-0364
This page adopted by Sandy Hardin, P. R. Massey, and Venus Allen. Greene County ARGenWeb County Coordinator
See an interactive map of Greene County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Prior to 1883 the county courthouse was burned twice.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Greene County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Men from this county served in the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate) , 25th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate) and Kuykendall's Company, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate).
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Greene County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1876-1955 - Greene County Marriage Books 2-36 and License Applications Index 1876-1955 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1922 - Greene County Marriage Books 2-16 Index 1876-1922 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Greene County Arkansas Historical and Genealogical Society
212 W Court Street (7 room research center open 9-4 Monday through Friday)
P.O. Box 121
Paragould, AR 72451
Phone: (870) 240-8944
Family History Centers
- ARGenWeb ~ Greene County, AR
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Greene County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 67.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2013, at 20:12.
- This page has been accessed 4,427 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More