Greene County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Greene County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greene County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 5, 1833|
|Address|| Greene County Courthouse|
PO Box 62
Paragould, AR 72451-0364
This page adopted by Sandy Hardin, P. R. Massey, and Venus Allen. Greene County ARGenWeb County Coordinator
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Prior to 1883 the county courthouse was burned twice. For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- History of Greene County at Ancestry.com ($)
Local histories are available for Greene County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- The first Native Americans arrived in the area more than 10,500 years ago.
- 1715 - Louisiana Governor Antoine de La Mothe Cadillac was probably the first European to visit this part of northeast Arkansas
- 1833 November 5 - The territorial legislature approved the petition to form Greene County.
- 1850s (mid) - The growth of Gainesville, the drainage activities, and the arrival of land speculators, helped Greene County finally to boom.
- 1884 - Paragould, a new town grew rapidly and became the county seat, beginning the sharp and sudden decline of Gainesville.
- 1890s - Northeast Arkansas offered one of the few remaining hardwood forests in the nation. With rail transportation and drainage improvements, Greene County experienced a major boom.
Regiments. Service men in Greene County, Arkansas served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greene County, Arkansas:
- - 8th Battalion, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - Davies' Battalion, Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), Companies D, E and F
- Men from this county served in the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate) , 25th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate) and Kuykendall's Company, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate).
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Greene County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Greene County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
- Probate Records 1876-1953 Part of: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Accounts 1898-1908; Administration bonds 1876-1906; Claims against estates no date; Guardian bonds and letters 1876-1905; Probate case files 1905-1937; Probate records 1876-1899; Wills 1894-1953.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1876-1955 - Greene County Marriage Books 2-36 and License Applications Index 1876-1955 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1922 - Greene County Marriage Books 2-16 Index 1876-1922 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Arkansas Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Greene County Arkansas Historical and Genealogical Society
212 W Court Street (7 room research center open 9-4 Monday through Friday)
P.O. Box 121
Paragould, AR 72451
Phone: (870) 240-8944
Family History Centers
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS.com||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Arkansas History Commission||AR state agency involved in organizing and maintaining state and local history of AR|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "arkansas" in the search box to see a list and links to Arkansas Blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "arkansas genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Arkansas Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Greene County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Greene County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 67.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 1 July 2014, at 21:07.
- This page has been accessed 11,894 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki