Greene County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Greene County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greene County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
Greene County, Iowa Record Dates
1851--Greene County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Dallas County prior to organization 25 August 1853. County seat: Jefferson 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the St. Peter Lutheran Church, Greene County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Greene County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Biographical and historical record of Greene and Carroll Counties, Iowa :. Chicago, Illinois : Lewis Pub. Co., 1887.
- Stillman, E. B. Past and present of Greene County, Iowa : together with biographical sketches of many of its prominent and leading citizens and illustrious dead. Chicago : S.J. Clarke, 1907.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Past and present of Greene County, Iowa at Ancestry.com ($)
Regiments. Service men in Greene County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Greene County, Iowa Genealogy:
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- The Jefferson Bee.1952, 1955, 1957-59, 1961, and 1964. Jefferson, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
- The Jefferson Herald. 1952 and 1954-55. Jefferson, IA, USA. Online at: Ancestry.com ($)
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Greene - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Greene County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Greene County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Greene County IAGenweb Project
- Greene County Iowagravestones Photo Project
- WPA Graves Registration Survey for Greene County, IA
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 24 October 2015, at 03:12.
- This page has been accessed 9,175 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News