Greene County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Greene County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Greene County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||November 18, 1799|
|County Seat||Snow Hill|
Greene County Courthouse
2nd and Greene P O Box 68
Snow Hill, NC 28580
Courthouse burned in 1876
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death, and land records from 1876
Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and probate records from 1876
The old Greene County now in Tennessee was created in 1783 from Washington County. Greenville became the county seat. This was a part of the Territory ceded by North Carolina in 1789 to the Federal government, and became part of Tennessee in 1796.
The newer Greene County in North Carolina was created in 1799 by renaming Glasgow County which had been created from Dobbs County in 1791.
1799--Greene County was renamed 18 November 1799 from Glasgow County.
County seat: Snow Hill 
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1876--Courthouse fire destroyed many court records and all land records.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
Cemeteries, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
For tips on accessing Greene County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Fate of the 1890 Census, NARA
- Little Contentaley aka Little Contentney aka Meadow Meeting House. Constituted 1785.
Deeds and Wills, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
Also see Family Surnames as many are extractions from Deeds and Wills, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
Letters home, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
History of Greene Co, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
History of Glasgow Co, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
1895 Map of North Carolina, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company A
:- 3rd Regiment, North Carolina State Troops, Compapny A
:- 5th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry (63rd Regiment Volunteers), Company B
:- 8th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry (Partisan Rangers), 5th Company
Newspaper Articles, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
Photographs related to the area, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
- 1868-1962 - Will Books (1868-1962) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
Marriages, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Marriage and Death Notices in Old Newspapers, Greene Co, NCGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
Greene County Arts and Historical Society
P.O. Box 266
Snow Hill,N.C. 28580
Green County Arts and Historical Society
Heritage Genealogical Society
PO Box 6204
Kinston, NC 28501
Heritage Genealogical Society
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Greene County, North Carolina. Page 509 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at St Paul's Seminary website.
Greene County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- This page was last modified on 27 June 2015, at 16:15.
- This page has been accessed 11,788 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News