Griston, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Wayland PLU|
|Parish registers: 1652|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1602|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
GRISTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wayland, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (S. E.) from Watton.
Griston St Peter and Paul is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The medieval church was renovated by the Victorians who replaced the orignial hammer beam roof. Recent discovery of the angels from this roof will lead to restoration.
The village is close to nearby H.M. Prison Wayland and RAF Watton airfield operated by the USAAF.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Wayland 1837-1974
Griston, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS ATs = England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS BTs = England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|Griston, Norfolk Parish Online Records|
This parish's registers do not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library. Norfolk Record Office reference PD 159/1-6
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms and burials 1602-1609, 1623-1630, 1665-1812 Marriages 1602-1609, 1623-1630, 1665-1811|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526739 Item 3
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438867.
http://apling.freeservers.com/1891Census/Griston.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Wayland/Wayland.shtml
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Griston on GenUKI
- Church Info
- the village is home to the wicked uncle of the babes in the wood
- online book
- for digital record project for griston and other parishes
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 344-347. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' FindMyPast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:20.
- This page has been accessed 2,297 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki