Grundy County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Grundy County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Grundy County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1841|
|Address|| Grundy County Courthouse|
700 Main Street
Trenton, MO 64683
Grundy County Website
County Clerk has birth and death records 1881-1890;
County Recorder has marriage, divorce and land records;
Probate office has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
- Grundy County, Missouri, Cemetery Records, Vol. 3 & 6 at Ancestry.com ($)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Joseph, Trenton
- 1872-1876 - St. Joseph, Trenton, Baptism Index 1872-1876. Batch C511501 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1882 - St. Joseph, Trenton, Marriage Index 1870-1882. Batch M511501 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Grundy County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
The History of Grundy County, Missouri an encyclopedia of useful information, and a compendium... (1881) is available online free from Google Books.
- Ford, James Everett. A history of Grundy County : treating of its transformation from the heart of the wilderness of yesterday to the heart of the mighty nation of today; a tribute to the pioneer and something of the men who are making the Grundy County of tomorrow. Trenton, Mo. : News Pub., 1908.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Grundy County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- - 18th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company C
- - 23rd Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company B
- - 30th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
- - 30th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
- - 30th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
- - 30th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
- - 30th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
- - 30th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
- - 4th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
- - 6th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company D
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Grundy County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Archives of The Chillicothe Constitution Tribune (1889-2009) provides free access to their newspapers online. Their newspapers covered local news that included residents from Grundy County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1847-1873 - Grundy County Birth Index 1847-1873. Batch C546511 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1847-1893 - Grundy County Birth Index 1847-1893. Batch C546512 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867 - Grundy County Birth Index 1867. Batch C515132 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Grundy County Birth Index 1875. Batch C515131 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1841-1885 - Grundy County Marriage Books A and 1 thru 3 Index 1841-1885. Batch M515132 at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriage records of Grundy County, Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Trenton Missouri Family History Center 2930 Oklahoma Ave, Trenton, 64683 United States Location Map]
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Grundy County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Grundy County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Grundy County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Grundy County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Grundy County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Grundy County Message Board
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Grundy County, Missouri. Page 400 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Felix Grundy," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 31 January 2015, at 00:56.
- This page has been accessed 8,281 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More