Gwinnett County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Gwinnett County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Gwinnett County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Gwinnett County Courthouse|
75 Langley Drive
PO Box 880
Lawrenceville, GA 30046
Gwinnett County Website
1818--Gwinnett County was created 15 December 1818 from Cherokee and Creek Indian Lands.
County seat: Lawrenceville 
1871 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Harmony Baptist Church Cemetery, Buford
- Harmony Grove Methodist Cemetery, Tucker
- Lilburn First Baptist Church Cemetery, Lilburn
- Salem Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery, Lilburn
- White Chapel Memorial Gardens, Lawrenceville
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- Flanigan, James C. Gwinnett Churches: A Complete History of Every Church in Gwinnett County, Georgia, With Short Biographical Sketches of Its Ministers. 1911. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Haynes Creek Baptist Church
- 1826-1885 - Haynes Creek Baptist Church Baptism Index 1826-1885. Batch C712984 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1826-1895 - Haynes Creek Baptist Church Marriage Index 1826-1895. Batch M712984 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Gwinnett County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Gwinnett County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
1. Wills 1846-1886, Book D (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
2. Index to Inventories and Annual Returns, Books 10-14, 1872-1895 Georgia Pioneers
3. Index to Inventories and Appraisements 1856-1866 Georgia Pioneers
4. Index to Inventories and Appraisements 1886-1897 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1827-1837 - Marriage Book 3, 1827-1837 Georgia Pioneers
- 1837-1895 - Gwinnett County Marriage Index 1837-1895. Batch M712983 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1843-1882 - Gwinnett County Marriage Book 4 Index 1843-1882. Batch M712981 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1843-1864 - Index to Marriages 1843-1864 Georgia Pioneers
- 1871-1882 - Index to Marriages 1871-1882 Georgia Pioneers
- 1878-1892 - Gwinnett County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1878-1892. Batch M712982 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1886 - Marriages 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers
- 1859-60, 1869-70 - Gwinnett County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
- Flanigan Funeral Home Obituaries Buford, Gwinnett County, Georgia Free from GenealogyBuff.com.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Gwinnett County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Gwinnett County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 27 August 2013, at 19:27.
- This page has been accessed 5,194 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More