Halifax All Souls (Northowram)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Halifax All Souls (Northowram), Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Owram North or Northowram or Halifax All Souls Northowram, was a chapelry, in the township and parish of Halifax St John the Baptist and union of Halifax, containing 13,352 inhabitants. This township, which includes numerous villages and hamlets, forming a north-eastern suburb to the town of Halifax, comprises by computation 4887 acres; rising in some parts into mountainous elevations, and in others presenting open vales, and deep and narrow glens. In the vale of Shibden is the Horley-Green spa. A church has been erected at Queenshead (by 1847). There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from chapelry registers of Halifax All Souls (Northowram) exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£)|
|HALIFAX ALL SOULS (NORTHOWRAM) CHAPELRY (1644) Online Records|
|FS|| 1644-1837, 1843
|HALIFAX ST JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH (1538) Online Records|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Halifax All Souls (Northowram) and comprising the whole ancient parish of Halifax St John the Baptist to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the HALIFAX ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes. This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464261.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:01.
- This page has been accessed 1,737 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page