Hall County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hall County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hall County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Hall County Courthouse|
116 Spring Street East
Gainesville, Ga 30501-3765
Hall County Website
Hall County Courthouse
116 Spring Street East
Gainesville, Ga 30501-3765
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1900 and land records from 1819; Probate Court has marriage and probate records.
1818--Hall County was created 15 December 1818 from Cherokee Indian Lands.
County seat: Gainesville
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Hall County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Chicopee, Georgia. New York: Doyle, Kitchen & McCormick, Inc., 1927. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Regiments. Service men in Hall County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Hall County, Georgia:
- - 24th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies G and I
- - 27th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 28th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 35th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 43rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies F and K
- - 55th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company D
- - 56th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hall County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1837-1867 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Miscellaneous Estates, Wills, Inventories, Appraisements, Annual Returns, Vouchers, Book A, 1819-1838 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Wills, Book A, 1837-1867 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Wills, Book R, 1868-1890 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1819-1850 Georgia Pioneers
- 1819-1870 - Hall County Marriage Book A Index 1819-1870. Batch M713001 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1881 - Hall County Marriage Book B Index 1869-1881. Batch M713002 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1891 - Hall County Marriage Book C Index 1874-1891. Batch M713003 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891-1895 - Hall County Marriage Index 1891-1895. Batch M713004 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-70, 1879-80 - Hall County, Georgia Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Hall County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Hall County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hall County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 36. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 24 October 2014, at 01:19.
- This page has been accessed 8,205 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki