Hamilton County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hamilton County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hamilton County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||December 26, 1827|
Hamilton County Courthouse
207 NE 1st Street
Jasper, FL 32052
County Judge has marriage and probate records.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1881
and land records from 1837. 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1929 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
- Brooks County, Georgia
- Clinch County, Georgia
- Echols County, Georgia
- Lowndes County, Georgia
For tips on accessing Hamilton County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
The 1885 Florida State Population Census includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Hamilton County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hamilton County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Hamilton County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Hamilton County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1824-1939 - Hamilton County Marriage Index 1824-1939 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Hamilton County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Hamilton County FLGenWeb Project, a member of TheFLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Hamilton County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Hamilton County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hamilton County, Florida Page 134 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:11.
- This page has been accessed 6,366 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki